Friday, January 20, 2012

My Long Intro


Just before the New Year, a friend of mine asked, “What isyour New Year’s resolution?”  Ihadn’t given it any thought.  I wasalready exercising on a regular basis. 

I work out at the gym 4 days a week during my lunchbreak.  Three of those days consistof weight training and one day is my cardio intense spinning class.  In addition to that, I also run 3 daysa week training my wife for her first half marathon on January 29th.  We do short runs on Tuesdays andThursdays (about 2 to 3 miles) and long runs on the weekends.  We just completed our longest run ofthe training program this past weekend. A steady 12 mile run. 

I also attend a mixed martial arts class every Wednesday foran hour and a half.  And when Istill have energy left over, I chase my three daughters around (ages 10, 7 and2).  Needless to say, I’m fairlyactive when I’m not sitting at my desk for 8 hours.  I’ve managed to lose 15 lbs in the past 8 or so months. 

So what could I possibly do for my New Year’sresolution?  Well, I had justfinished reading “Unprocessed” by Chef AJ, whom I had the pleasure of meetingat our company Lunch & Learn presentation.  She talked about the health benefits of a whole food; plantbased diet and emphasized the importance of staying away from “The EvilTrinity” which are processed Oils, Salt, and Sugar.  The three essentials!...or so I thought.  But she brought her ingredients andkitchen tools and whipped up some dishes that were surprisingly delicious.  And so my road to this experimentbegan.

Shortly after reading Chef AJ’s book, I watched thedocumentary “Forks Over Knives” and became more motivated to give the veganlifestyle a try…at least the vegan dietary lifestyle.  No, I’m not going to stop wearing leather shoes and I’m nottrying to find balance with the planet. I just want to see what this change in diet will do to my physicalfitness and energy level.

I don’t have any major medical conditions that I’m aware ofbut my Dad has Type II diabetes. He is a vegetarian which, as most of you might know, differs from veganswith respect to eggs and dairy.  Avegan is a vegetarian who also does not eat any dairy or egg products.  He loves his ice creams and his sourcreams and butters.  Maybe thisexperiment will inspire him to try a 30 day challenge of his own.  It would be interesting to see if hecan stick with it long enough to completely reverse his diabetes. 

My second Dad (technically my Step Dad but he is more like areal Dad) struggles with obesity and other weight related health issues.  I’m hoping this experiment mightencourage him to make even the slightest adjustment to his current eatinghabits. 

So…. If you skimmed through all of the above, that’sok.  Come back here.  As Chef AJ said in her book, “Try itfor at least 30 days.”  And so thecountdown begins to January 23rd

What do I hope to accomplish?  I’m curious to see if my body fat % will go downsignificantly.  I’m currently atabout 15% body fat and I weight about 160 lbs, standing at about 5’10”.  I’m thinking of putting up a beforepicture but I’m not sure the world is ready for that yet.  J  Ok I’m not sure I’m brave enough forthat yet.  I’m curious to see if Ican even manage to stay on, not only a vegan diet but an unprocessed diet!  These are two totally different thingsand I think the unprocessed part is the hardest part of this equation. 

I’m sure I’ll make mistakes along the way and I know it will be a challenge, especially considering the rest of the family will continue to eat the foods I’m used to eating.  But I’m hoping with some help and support out there, I can stay on track.  My promise to this blog is to update it daily with a description of my meals for the day with pictures included and share any challenges or frustrations along the way.  Stay tuned! 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Son, this is your Dad, the vegetarian one, actually I just started the Vegan lifestyle, Irene(my wife) and I have also watched the documentary “Forks over Knifes” so we decided to let go of Dairy and Eggs in our diet, we were Vegans some time ago for about 6 months, and we recognize that this lifestyle may bring us closer to being healthier, so we are also going to join you in your experiment. I will suggest continuing reading about the Vegan lifestyle as with more information you will feel you are in the right path. We wish you the best and will follow your posts. Love, Dad and Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dad. That's great news! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences and health improvements.

      Today I bought The Engine 2 Diet which, like my book Unprocessed, has a lot of recipes to get me through the next 30 days. I figure I only need about 7 or 8 dishes to rotate through. Tomorrow I'll go to the market and stock up on the fruits and veggies I'll need for these dishes. I think fruits will be hard for me to get used to.

      Delete
    2. So far, so good, son, over the weekend we ate according to the plan, also we exercised, a 45 minute walk and 30 minute swim, and today Monday we are going to order a 50 pound bag of carrots and we will be drinking carrot juice on a daily basis, we have read that juicing is very beneficial for the body since it contains all the vitamins, minerals and most important the live enzymes so much needed for the renewal of the body cells, we have also tried fresh home made apple juice and also some other veggie juices, so that’s the plan. Good luck son, Love Dad

      Delete