Saturday, January 21, 2012

Countdown to my whole food, plant based diet. Begins Monday, January 23rd.

The Countdown 



It's almost time to start the great plant-based experiment!

Why am I doing this? I want to see how my body adjusts to this new way of eating.

How will I feel? How will I look? Will become leaner and more toned? I'm looking forward to finding out!

What can't I eat? No meat products or dairy of any kind. No eggs. Nothing that had a mother and a father.

What is considered "unprocessed?" As Chef AJ said in her book Unprocessed, "Anything I can make in my kitchen using whole ingredients."  So what are "whole ingredients"?  Whole ingredients or whole foods are foods that you find in the produce section.  Foods that are totally or nearly in the same state as they were harvested.  If it comes in a box with ingredients you can't pronounce, it's PROCESSED.

What about bread?!  It's technically processed right?  Again, I'll go with Chef AJ on this.  If it's whole grain bread, principally made of whole grain berries, you're in the unprocessed end of the grey area.  White bread.  Fore more, see Chapter One of her book, Unprocessed.

One of the biggest challenges is staying away from what Chef AJ calls, The Evil Trinity (Oil, Sugar and Salt).  Oil and sugars are the most processed food you can come across.  We use oil a lot at home for cooking but we've found that there are many descent substitutes, some of which make dishes taste better, such as white wine when sauteing veggies.

My goal is to keep a daily blog with photos of my meals and talk about my experiences, frustrations and victories.  I'll share recipes whenever possible if anybody's interested.  Please follow me and keep me on track!

For my complete intro to this experiment, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment